Sohail Abbas has no plans to retire soon


New Delhi: World’s highest goal scorer and Pakistan’s famed drag flicker Sohail Abbas says he has no plans to retire soon, his lacklustre showing in the Hockey World Cup here notwtihstanding.
Sohail feels he still has a few more years of hockey and he would like to serve his country.

“I have no plans to retire. I think I still have some years left in me. So I want to serve my country as long as I can,” the 34-year-old Sohail told mediapersons Monday soon after the four-time Cup winners went down 1-2 to Australia to wrap up their Pool B engagements with only three points.

Sohail was not at his best in the tournament and just could not get his act right while executing his penalty-corner hits or drag flicks, greatly affecting Pakistan’s prospects.

However, he attributed the team’s dismal showing to fatigue.

“We have been playing continuosly for the last six month. So the players were fatigued and that led to the drop in the performance levels.”

Sohail also refused to accept that his fitness levels have gone down.

“I am very happy with my fitness in this World Cup. I have played four World Cups. In fact, fitness wise it has been one of my best-ever. So I want to continue playing,” he said.

Asked whether there will be pressure on him to retire after the team’s poor showing here, he said: “If the federation does not want me, then it is a different thing. I cannot comment on that.”

Sohail said despite his best efforts luck was not on his side.

“I gave my best in the tournament. Some of the strikes came back from the post. You can’t help when these things happen. I do not have a magic stick,” he said.

Comments