Boxing great Lal Saeed finally gets recognition

PESHAWAR(APP): Winning countless laurels for the country,the great boxing maestro of his era Lal Saeed’s backbreaking efforts finally paid off when President Asif Ali Zardari conferred on him ‘Pride of Performance,’ the highest civil award for his meritorious services in the field of sports.The name of legendary Lal Saeed was enlisted in the eight sportsmen, who received the prestigious award during an impressive ceremony held here at Governor House on Tuesday with Governor NWFP Owais Ahmad Ghani conferred on him on behalf of President Asif Ali Zardari.

“Today is the day I dreams for to recognize my services I have rendered for the country,” Lal Saeed told APP. Facing a number of problems and passing through a very difficult time of his life at this stage, Lal Saeed added.
“I wished that some one, somewhere at the helms of power acknowledge his magnanimous services rendered by me for promotion of boxing that would also motivate young players to work hard,” he informed.

He said that he would highly appreciate if some one at the highest level helped him financially so that he could live a dignified life with his wife, three sons and four daughters. The former nine times national boxing champion expressed his deep concern over the attitude of sports promoting organizations none of whom turned up to extend very small financial and moral support to the man, who is one and the only international boxing champion so far emerged from the Frontier Province.

Born at village Azakhel in Nowsehra district on June 7, 1954, he thanked President Asif Ali Zardari for conferring on him the highest civil award. “I got the letter from the NWFP Sports Board, in which I was asked to receive the award in a ceremony on Pakistan Day and today the day came for which I waited for my whole life,” Lal said.

“I also thanked the Director General NWFP Sports Board, Iltaf Umerzai for sending my nomination in view of my performances in the field of sports, former Director General and Test cricketer Maazullah Khan, NWFP Minister for Sports Syed Aqil Shah and President of NWFP Boxing Association Waqar Maroof for their recommendation,” Lala Saeed said while tears rolling down over his cheeks.

The champion while scanning his past recalled that when in 1969 National Boxing Championship held in Rawalpindi, he won first gold medal and since than he become un-challenged Champion till 1976. He won gold medal in Qauid-e-Azam International Boxing Championship held in Karachi. Lal Saeed was un-challenged Champion of the Inter-Services as he won gold medal in light weight category from 1971-77 consecutively while representing Pakistan Navy.

Joined the boxing field at an age 14, Mr. Lal from club to province and province to National and International levels he crossed every barrier by becoming a true Champion and raised the national flag high. He ruled the light weight for almost nine years in the country’s national history and became the only who had got such distinction so far.

Looking after his tremendous performances, he got a chance in 1969 to visit Cambodia and represent Pakistan but due to unclear circumstances the tour was cancelled but soon after that he was selected for Bangkok Asian Games. Due to little knowledge of international exposure, Lal could not perform up to his potential. “But I did not give up and won Asia’s biggest title the Hilali Cup in 1971 after defeating Ceylon’s boxer Suba Singh, followed by another gold soon after returning back in Sri Lanka where he defeated Burma’s Vikram in the final.

In 1976, International Championship held in Bangkok, Thailand, Lal got gold medal again in light weight category. Recalling his past about his glorious performance, Lal Saeed’s eyes bedewed with tears as he had to start the agonies of his present life. He also served Navy as physical trainer for 18 years during that period he played dominated role against Army pugilist by wining title after title.

The undisputed Champ, though wished to transfer his skills, even now, to youth was enrolled for Rs. 1000 per month in the Pakistan Sports Board by than DG Zafar Hayat while looking after his class.

“I wished to serve youth there but gardeners and peons of my office ridiculed and bulled my legs for the remuneration I received and was far less than peons and gardeners so I left it and leaved all my worries on God’s mercy,” Lal Saeed added.

“With no job at hands, I knocked every door and requested every one matters but no heed was paid to me even as national hero and when every door shut upon me I did not give up and continued my practice,” he said with sobbing eyes.

But after running from pillar to post, finally my request reached to Secretary Information and Culture NWFP Shakeel Durrani who asked NWFP Sports Board to enroll me as coach for Rs. 1500 per month. The salary was again discontinued after six-month despite my excellent coaching to young lot because my trained team had won gold medal at provincial level boxing event.

About his present day activities, Lal Saeed said: “I have no job but I’m working as a laborer in the local fruits market for Rs. 200 per day (from 9.00 a.m to 4.00 p.m} because I’m still physical fit and after finishing at 4.00 p.m, I use to rush to Qayyum Sports Complex, for joining the kids for next two hour by providing them training and coaching free of cost.”

“Boxing is my passion and till my death, I would be there for training and coaching to the youth, does not matter any one recognizes me or not,” he added.

To a question that how you feel when you are honored with a highest civil award, he said, now I can tell my kids that I achieved the thing I desired for. When he was asked why Pakistan could not produce heavyweight champion of world repute, Lal Saeed said: “It is mostly due to the apathy of those at the helm of affairs and treatment meted out to national heroes after their retirement.

There were sports foundations and trust, but I don’t know why they did not find me despite my performance, both at national and international levels. “I’m happy today I got the honor I deserved to from the Governor NWFP,” Lal responded with a deep smiling face.

Comments