Lahore terror attack umpire makes his on-field debut



By BIPIN DANI

Mumbai, Feb. 16 : The most affected victim of the infamous Lahore Test on 3 / 3 last year, Ahsan Raza, has made his debut as an "onfield" umpire in the One Day International (ODI) between Afghanistan and Canada played at the Sharjah Cricket Ground on Tuesday.
Before joining his fellow country-man and ICC award winner Aleem Dar, an elated Raza said, "my dream is coming true. I had always aspired to be an onfield umpire and am proud that my partner will be Aleem Dar".
"I will also be officiating in the second ODI (on Thursday) between the two countries", he further added.
There might be some sympathy towards Ahsan Raza owing to the Lahore terror attack, but the man in question would like to shed the "most affected victim" tag. "I wish to be remembered for my own field performances and not for what happened on that fateful day. I intend to give my best as an onfield umpire".
The icing on the cake will be the fact that Raza will officiate in Sharjah Cricket Stadium's two hundredth ODI on Thursday.
After the concusion of the ODI series on 18th, Afghanistan and Canada will play an intercontinental four-day game, where Raza's onfield colleague will be former England player Richard Illingworth.
It may be recalled here that on 3 March 2009, Ahsan Raza was injured in an attack on the Sri Lankan cricket team in Lahore. He sustained a bullet wound and was in a serious condition in a Lahore hospital.
"I dedicate my elevation as an onfield umpire to the former Pak. international umpire and my teacher Mr. Khizar Hayat", Raza signed off

Comments