Nine African Boxers Finded Islam in Pakistan City



Gbodo Ygor, 28, came to Pakistan last week to participate in the light welter weight category in the Benazir Bhutto International Boxing tournament.
But he will be returning to his homeland, the Central Africa Republic (CAR), as Ali Akber after having embraced Islam along with eight other boxers from the Central Africa Republic and Cameron.

“Though, I could not win the title, I have won something much bigger than that. I am by the grace of Allah a Muslim now,” he told IslamOnline.net in an exclusive interview.

“I cannot forget that moment. I feel that I have achieved my destination,” said a twinkling-eyed Akber, the eldest among four sisters and three brothers.

Hundreds of people cheered with vociferous Allah-o-Akbar (Allah is Great) when six CAR and three Cameroonians boxers took the shahada at the Jamia Binoria International in the suburbs of the southern port city of Karachi.

They queued up to hug and greet the new Muslim brothers and distributed traditional sweets.

“What a wonderful welcome we have accorded here,” said Akber.

“We could not believe that we will be treated as celebrities after converting to Islam.”

The boxers’ conversion had made headlines in local media.

“I am happy with them, whether they are Christians or Muslims, because both religions take you towards God,” Lumande Kristin, President of the Central Africa Republic Boxing Association, told IOL.

“I am happy that they have converted to a religion of peace and equality,” added Kristin, himself a Christian.

“They won’t face any problem back home, socially or economically. They are our heroes and will remain our heroes no matter what religion they belong to.”

“Though, I could not win the title, I have won something much bigger than that. I am by the grace of Allah a Muslim no,” Akber told IOL.
Journey

Although his mother and father had embraced Islam, Akber’s journey to Islam took longer.

He credits his coach Muhammad Kalambaye for guiding him into that decision.

“I have started taking interest in Islam a few years back, when Muhammad joined our boxing squad as a coach,” Akber recalls.

“He never forced us to learn about Islam, but it was his way of living and a good character, which propelled us to take interest in Islam.”

A strong-built Muhammad, a middle-aged former boxer, did not attract only Akber towards Islam, but five other boxers.

“We all decided to embrace Islam in Pakistan as it was the first ever Muslim country we have ever visited,” says Akber.

“My two colleagues were reluctant to embrace Islam at this stage as they wanted to learn more about that. But when we (four) informed them that we are going to embrace Islam tomorrow, to our surprise, they wished to join us.”

He says the best qualities of Islam with which they were impressed are equality and altruism.

“I have had various Muslims in my neighborhood who always help not merely each other but also the non-Muslims in any hour of need.

“They told me that to help others is an inseparable part of Islam. I was really moved by this vigor and commitment,” he added.

“And of course, there is no superiority concept in Islam.”

Akber says his coach would often quote the famous saying of Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him) that no Arab is superior to a non-Arab and no white is superior to a black in Islam.

“This concept of equality really attracted me.

Akber says his parents screamed in joy when he informed them about embracing of Islam by telephone.

“I already gave them a hint before departing for Pakistan that I would bring a special gift for them from there. But I didn’t tell them directly about my plans.

“They are over exuberant.”

He hopes to help his brothers and sisters, who are still Christians, find their way to Islam.

“Inshaullah, Allah will soon shower his blessing upon them as well.”

“We loved it when he said Asalam-o-Alakum in a loud tone every day. In fact, it was the first thing that attracted us towards Islam,” Ahmed told IOL.
Asalam-o-Alakum

Ketchemi Justin, a feather weight boxer from the Cameroonian city of Yaounde, has a similar story to narrate.

“Credit goes to my colleague (boxer), Mohammad Ismail, who has been my best friend for the last five years.

“He is the one who motivated me and my other colleagues to learn about Islam, which was a completely new religion for us because a majority of population in my city are Christians,” Justin, who has adopted the Muslim name Mohammad Ahmed, told IOL with his friend Ismail sitting next to him with a big smile on his face.

Three other colleagues, who too have been reading about Islam for the last couple of years, also embraced Islam.

“We all didn’t know much about Islam. We started taking interest in Islam after witnessing Ismail, who prays five times no matter how tight schedule we have,” says Ahmed.

“We loved it when he said Asalam-o-Alakum in a loud tone every day. In fact, it was the first thing that attracted us towards Islam.”

The Cameroonian boxer does not expect any difficulties because of his decision to embrace Islam.

“Our society is not like that. But even then, if there is a problem I will face that Inshaullah and will never complaint.”

Ahmed also hopes to help his parents, 3 sisters and two brothers find Islam.

“My parents and brothers and sisters do not know much about Christianity as well. They are living a haphazard life. I am sure I will convince them to learn about Islam,” he said.

“I don’t think they will be unhappy with my decision. Even if they are unhappy, I will never be unhappy with them and will treat them with more love and affection.”

Comments